Wednesday, September 19, 2007

New Appreciation for Jenny McCarthy


Can we just say how much I love Jenny McCarthy? Even before I was pregnant, everyone kept telling me that I had to read her book called Belly Laughs, which is a short one-day read about her experiences while pregnant with her son. This book is laugh out loud funny, but it will also scare the shit out of you, all at the same time! This woman went through EVERYTHING with her pregnancy - all of the horror stories you hear about what your body could possibly go through? She lived it. I finished the book wiping tears from my eyes from laughing so hard and also thinking, 'I hope that doesn't happen to me.'

Unfortunately, Jenny's son was diagnosed with autism a couple of years ago. Oprah had McCarthy and Holly Robinson Peete on yesterday's show to discuss the issues they have faced with the autism that has afflicted their sons. McCarthy was her usual self - strong, ballsy, and in your face - but incredibly eloquent as well. Of course, I probably shouldn't have watched it....I keep stumbling upon shows, books or magazines which make me start to fear what could possibly happen to our baby. Now I can add autism to the list. Especially scary was the fact that McCarthy and Peete (as well as many mothers of autistic children, apparently) believe that their children developed autism due to their early vaccinations. Who knows if that is true - but it's enough to place some fear into you when you start thinking about your child's immunizations! I've got to stop tuning into these programs or reading these things in books and magazines - I'm going to turn into Chicken Little, otherwise, and become a paranoid mess!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sara-
Quit reading for a while! You will be a basket case by the time the baby is born. :)

kristy said...

I love Jenny on those Weight Watchers commericals ... she seems very real.

And yes, quit reading those books ... it's just going to make you nervous and you don't need to be!

Suburban prep said...

I have a cousin who is autistic. I can not tell you the lengths that his parents went to for this young man to get him where he is today.

kristy said...

Sara ... Glad you liked the photos from the wedding if you'd like to see more go to www.youmeweddings.com and then click on Kristy and Scott. Enjoy!

sara said...

Thanks for the comments ladies - I am going to make a genuine effort to stop worrying! Plus, I am confident that if (heaven forbid) something like this did happen to our child, Ryan and I would do everything in our power to help the child develop.