Wednesday, May 12, 2010

What's Cooking, Good Looking?

First, for all of your sweet comments on my photo in the last post - thank you! However, in the interest of KEEPING IT REAL, I must advise that the photo was NOT taken immediately after Alexandra's birth. Oh, no, no, no, no, no - that was taken the day FOLLOWING her birth, after I had the opportunity to take a shower, put on a pretty gown/bathrobe, and fix my face so I wouldn't be shamed in front of visitors. No, dear readers, I looked far different immediately after Alexandra's birth - while I must confess that I wore a full face of makeup and had my hair fixed when I went in that morning at 6am for my induction (hey, there's a lot of photo opportunities!), needless to say all of that had gone to hell in a hand basket by the time of her birth at almost 9pm. Just wanted to set the record straight!

I will be posting pictures of Alexandra's birthday party soon - I'm presently waiting on some pics from my sister, as busy momma that I am, I failed to take any photos of the decorations and the cake pops (yes, I made them, fool that I am!). In the meantime, I wanted to share with you some pics of Alexandra's present from Ryan and I...


I knew I wanted to get her a retro-style kitchen, but the one I initially spotted at Pottery Barn Kids was ridiculously overpriced ($700 for a kid's kitchen?!?!). So you can imagine my great joy when I found this little beauty on Amazon for a fraction of the price. It's so well made and very sturdy. I love all of the little features on it.

We filled the fridge and pantry with all kinds of goodies:


Warmed up some comfort food on the stovetop:


Slid a pan of adorable iced-cookies into the oven:


There's even room for her tea set, sandwiches and sweet treats:


I was a little nervous as to whether Alexandra would like it - there's a play kitchen at daycare but I don't think she has ever shown the slightest interest in it. So you can imagine my great relief when this ended up being a huge hit! The kids at the birthday party loved playing with it:


And the birthday girl has enjoyed it ever since, making us little treats and telling us the names of all of the different goodies stored within the kitchen's nooks and crannies!


I'm not going to lie to you, this kitchen is even fun for the adults! As Ryan's mom and I were cleaning up after the party on Saturday night, we took great care to separate the fruit and vegetables, and placing the "cold" items in the freezer and all other items in the pantry. (I imagine that as the days progress, I'll eventually get to the point that I'm just shoving all of the food, pots, pans and plates into any open space I can find). This kitchen has caused me flashbacks to our own childhood version of the kitchen - the Easy Bake Oven.


How is that for a blast from the past?!

28 comments:

Ruth said...

I love those little kitchens.

Elizabeth said...

cute kitchen! we lucked out and found the whole pottery barn kids set on craigslist for a steal. otherwise we were going to get this exact one! I mean, $700 is a appliance for adults! she loves it and plays with it all the time. i hope alexandra enjoys it just as much! i love all the play food you got for her. its so realistic. makes me want to be a kid again:)

Elizabeth said...

i'm leaving yet another comment.....i'm in louisville with work and went to a boutique called clodhoppers. i'm sure you've been there? so many cute shops up here. i want to live here. my city just seems to have nail salons, tanning beds and video stores:(

Jess said...

That kitchen is beautiful!!! How perfect for a two year old girl! Logan actually loves playing with the kitchen at the toy store...but I haven't looked into a neutral version at this point :)

Sweet Southern Prep said...

I just got a kitchen for my daughter about a week ago. She loves it. Yours is so cute! I went with the Kenmore Elite Little Tikes one because it makes sounds, but this one is definitely way cuter! She's got the little teapot set too, and I don't think she's put it down since Christmas.

Oh, and I went ahead and bought some small rectangle Rubbermaid boxes to put beside the kitchen, so I can throw it all in there when cleaning it up, and that way she can help me clean-up easier too.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness I have been looking for a retro kitchen just like that for my little girl! I'm with you on the Pottery Barn one, waaayyyyy too expensive! I'm going to scoot over to Amazon to look for it!

I bet your daughter just loved it and had a great birthday!

Lauren said...

This post is speaking to me! First of all, I laughed when you said that you went to the hospital in full makeup and hair. I did too...but with my 2nd I didn't use waterproof mascara...uh oh! Hubs and I still laugh at the pix....Human baby born to raccoon mom! Ha!

And I LOVE A's kitchen! Our kitchen is still the best "toy" ever! It is 5 years old and all use it! I love all of the fun wood foods that you added!

Ohhh, the Easy Bake rocked! Bought one for my 7 year old...The new just doesn't have "it" like the older version.

Love your pix, girl! Now go sort all of that food! :)

Kelsey712 said...

that play kitchen is absolutely adorable! I bet that she will have so much fun feeding her friends and dolls/stuffed animals :)

It looks like she had a great birthday!

Rory said...

Happy B Day again, A! I can tell you after 2 years with our little kitchen, I just shove everything in the oven. Then I get a lecture from my 4 yr old about "Milk goes in the fridgerater mom!"

Sole Matters said...

okay im slightly jealous of her present. hehe

California Wife said...

Awe, so cute!! I love the little kitchen!!!

Anonymous said...

How FUN :) I think every young girl had an Easy Bake Oven ! I know I did ! Love the picture's :)

Sharstin said...

that kitchen is too cute!! love it~

Danielle said...

Colin thoroughly enjoys play kitchens too - almost as much as he enjoys the real kitchen!

I never had an Easy Bake and I've always felt slighted. I just made stuff in the real kitchen and then made my poor dad taste it. I recall using lots of salt! Yum.

Kelsey712 said...

Also, I meant to tell you that I took your advice and bought the 50MM portrait lens for my Rebel and I love it! The pictures are so wonderful and clear :)

Thanks for that great suggestion and I really enjoy reading your blog!

Christy @ MCH PHOTOGRAPHY said...

Love the kitchen!! So cute

Unknown said...

She will have hours of run with that! Even my boys love our little kitchen.

Erin said...

Oh the kitchen is so darling! Is it KidKraft? My friend Liz just got her daughter Oliva (aka MO on my blog) that kitchen for her 2nd birthday. Getting it all organized is so much fun in the beginning, but like you said, after a while you will just cram in all in there...believe me! Oh and the Easy Bake oven...definite blast from the past!!! I'm so glad that Alexandra loves her new kitchen as much as you do!

Heather said...

OH your girl is going to love this!! My daughter is sitting here looking at pics and just smiling, we are thinking of getting her one for Christmas! My 6 year old got an easy bake oven for Christmas and loves it, which makes me happy cause it was one of my favorite childhood toys!! Love the kitchen, PBK's prices are so ridiculous, so glad you got a great price!

Melanie said...

How cute is that kitchen? Wow. I love it.

I was wondering how you looked that good in the previous post. Now I know your dirty little secret:)

The Undomestic Mom said...

so cute! and even if that picture was after you had time to get all dolled up you still look great! I looked like a train wreck for months hahah!

Mrs. Shelton said...

I just now saw your last post too. THat is such a sweet picture! I didn't know she had colic too. Lilly did as well! Whew! That kitchen is adorable! I love it. I am wanting to get Lilly one at Christmas. She is such a girly-girl. LOVES purses and babies!

Rhiannon Bosse said...

uhm seriously? Can I move in please? ADORABLE. wow!

mel @ the larson lingo said...

I absolutely adore that kitchen!!!!! It is so cute!!! I want to get one for my girls :) Glad she had a good party. I made cake pops earlier this year, they were very yummy but didn't look very pretty!

Liz said...

Hey, "MO"'s mom here! Yes, MO has this exact kitchen and she 100% hearts it! I will admit though, the first thing she did was put her baby doll in the skillet on the stove...whaaaat?!?

2 Little Irish Boys said...

What an adorable kitchen!! I got Cash one when he was 3 and now Cillian loves it. We actually have ours in our kitchen which is a big help when I am trying to prepare dinner!!

A Wedding Story said...

OH to be young again!

Unknown said...

what a sweet kitchen. she'll love it over the years. my sons still love theirs after two years.